Monday 17 October 2016

Let's Talk About...

Is it okay to break up with a friend?






We in the early years of our adulthood fall in and out of romantic relationships? Breaking up is the hardest most excruciating experience many of us face.

Breaking up with my most recent ex-was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. I didn’t want to hurt him but I was unhappy and had been for a very long time. That relationship brought out the worst in me... so with helpful advice from my mum and friends, I decided it was time to end the most significant relationship I had up until that date.
Even though there was lots of tears and snotters and “what have I done?!” moments, in the long run, it was the best thing I could have done.

Post break up, I moved to London to pursue my dream of attending Condé Nast College of Fashion and Design (greatest experience), became “Emma” again and began dating my best friend who is a much better fit for me!

So why do we think it’s unacceptable to break up with a friend who is having a negative impact on our life?

Do you have a friend that you see once a month out of respect for the 10+ years relationship you’ve had? Do you leave that lunch feeling rubbish and deflated?
You should leave a lunch with a friend feeling lovely!

Do you have a friend who in the 10+ years of your relationship you’ve seen change into a different person right in front of your eyes?

So why do we just accept it? If that were our boyfriend we’d dump him!

Why do we feel loyalty because of how long a friendship has gone on? Friendships change! People change! You can’t expect every friend you had in school to remain the exact same in your 20s, can you?

I think if someone is a negative aspect of your life, remove him or her!


Do you think you can “dump” a friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment